Thursday, December 27, 2007

Tech guru by day, musician by night - Oregonian Opinion

Published in the Oregonian Nov. 03, 2007:

Tech guru by day, musician by night - Oregonian Opinion

As a recent transplant to the Pacific Northwest, I'm very grateful to The Oregonian for extending me this opportunity to contribute to the Op-Ed section of my newly-adopted hometown paper. Here's a short introduction to me and the perspectives I'll bring to this "experiment."

To a news-junkie with a technical bent, my IT job since 1994 has seemed a perfect fit: working in Congressional offices on Capitol Hill, seeing the political process and its players live and up-close. However, D.C.'s cost-of-living, toxic political environment, and post-9/11 bunkered mindset eventually took their toll, so my wife and I decided to trade coasts for a fresh start after our daughter was born. My employer agreed to a three time-zone telecommute, we sold our tiny pre-Civil War row house and headed west to Portland's Southeast Woodstock neighborhood last October.

I've lived and traveled all over the U.S. and abroad and absolutely love our new city, though being a newcomer admittedly imparts a rosier (no pun intended) view of what the region does (and doesn't) do well.

I am a lifelong musician and find Portland to be a great fit -- a place where my complementary passions of technology and music can intermesh particularly well in this age of digital production, online distribution and web marketing. I run a small record label, so I closely follow intellectual property issues, emerging technologies, the music industry and mass media.

I run an internet radio station called GroovePalace.com and I co-produce a weekly radio show Sunday evenings on 89.1 KMHD-FM.

I'll be tackling a variety of issues in my upcoming articles. I am a passionate defender of civil liberties and church-state separation. I'll focus on society's widespread scientific and mathematical illiteracy and how it allows hucksters, political leaders and the credulous media to mislead us, prey on our ignorance and spread irrational fears and hysteria. These distractions have broad implications as they divert attention and resources from solutions to actual problems we face.

I hope to enlighten and entertain the readers of these columns and look forward to your feedback and comments.

-- Chauncey Canfield

No comments: